Wednesday, May 25, 2011

We Will Win This Battle One Day!


Help Me Fight This Horrible Disease, MS - Multiple Sclerosis


Did you know that the risk of contracting Multiple Sclerosis if your father has the disease is approx. 1 in 100, but approx. 1 in 50 if your mother has the disease?

This definitely worries me. MS is an auto-immune disease that affects both men and women by damaging the protective coating of the body’s nerve cells. The cells get inflamed and then the body reacts by attacking its own cells in the brain and nervous system. And at this time, there is still no cure for the disease. I know this only too well, as I have lost my own father to MS.

My poor dad was stricken at the prime of his life with MS and was never able to enjoy the family he loved so much. The disease struck his central nervous system which caused a slow and painful demise. He spent most of his years at home with his family providing the constant needed care. What allowed us to do this was a hydraulic lifter that enabling us to get him in and out of bed.

This is the reason I now direct my donations to the Multiple Sclerosis Equipment Provision Program that provides MS patients with such things as wheel chairs, lifters and other expensive equipment that help people who suffer with this disease gain a better quality of life.

What is really sad is that the organization’s funds usually get depleted by July each year as most people donate to research. However, I really believe in supporting this department of the MS Fund as it really provides individuals with this disease and their care takers unbelievable assistance with day to day functions.

Starting today, I will donate $1 to the MS Society's Equipment Fund for every new person who clicks the “Like” button of my Amaryllis Events Facebook page. Please also feel free to share any of your stories with me after this blog or on my Facebook wall.

This is a great opportunity for those of us who have encountered this terrible fate to be able to share, connect, and support each other!

I appreciate all of your support in advance! Let’s fight this battle together and not let them run out of funds this July!


No comments:

Post a Comment