Sunday, May 8, 2011

My Travel Adventures!

I’ve been fascinated by the Everest region of Nepal for years. It all started with my book club selecting Into Thin Air by Jon Krakauer as our monthly read. Up to that point I thought anyone wanting to climb the highest mountain in the world had to be nuts! When I found out that this was the book we’d be reading, I had not initial interest, but thought to myself – Heather you should at least make an effort. Not expecting to finish the book, I was hooked by the middle of the 1st page!

So on October 3, 2009, my adventure buddy Darlene and I headed for a 17 day trek to Everest Base Camp, at an altitude of 18,000'.

Highlights of my trek:

  • Hiking 4-8 hours every day
  • No booze
  • Strictly vegetarian diet
  • Accommodation was in $2.00 a night tea houses
  • No showers, electricity or flush toilets
  • Going to bed at sunset and getting up at sunrise

But the amazing feeling of accomplishment and breath taking views were all worth it in the end!

Here are some photos of the adventure:


I am planning another trek to the Everest Base Camp in April, 2013 – Who wants to join me? Please leave a comment below or follow me on Facebook and let’s get in touch!

No comments:

Post a Comment